Hellgate Farm Internship, 2018
We are pleased to announce that we are offering a live-in internship for the 2018 season at our urban site in Queens, New York City for Hellgate Farm.
What we are looking for:
Our ideal candidate will be interested in the study and practice of sustainable living and want to reflect that passion in their work. They will be an eager partner in a grassroots growing company focused on cultivating chemical-free food in the city.
Candidates should have experience in at least one facet, field or office work, as pertaining to the description below, and excitement about learning the other. Flexibility is a must, to be able to drop what one is doing on a computer and run out to handle an issue in a garden. We need someone with a roll up their sleeves attitude who is excited about making these projects work. Please do not apply if you are not enthusiastic about a job where you are both in an office and working outside, and remember that there will be beautiful sunny days that you need to work in the office and rainy cold days where we need help outside. Time in the field will exceed that of the office. Another aspect of the internship is that interns will be living where they work: this will be an intense but extremely rewarding experience for the right person.
The base structure of the internship will average to 24 hours (3 days) per week with opportunities for additional paid hours. The season will begin with slightly shorter work days (March, April, 7 hours) and in harvest season (August, September) slightly longer work days (9 hours).
Hellgate Farm is a growing network of urban farms that grow food organically through land partnerships in Queens backyards and on rooftops. The food is distributed directly to consumers and restaurants in the same areas to do our part to create a food system that is truly local, rooted in community. We utilize various organic techniques in our diverse growing areas. Recently Hellgate Farm has focused on value added items including hot sauce, ketchup, herb salts, loose leaf tea, honey, and pesto. Hellgate Farm has a contracting wing called Homestead Design Build.
Homestead Design Build is the design and contracting arm associated with Hellgate Farm that integrates food production into buildings and therefore works closely with Hellgate Farm and its partnerships. Beyond food production, HDB focuses on energy and space efficiency, alternative ways to produce energy, and utilizing reclaimed materials. Examples include interior renovations and retrofitting city rooftops. HDB’s team includes licensed structural engineers, permaculture designers, and green builders who believe it is the only moral and logical thing to do. We want to see every rooftop a garden and source of social space and energy production. We want to see every building used responsibly and efficiently in terms of energy and space usage, and honoring old materials in a beautiful artistic way through upcycling. We want to see every backyard become a flourishing habitat again, for birds and bees and human beings.
What are the expectations of the intern?
- Assisting with seed starting, planting, maintaining, and harvesting the gardens.
- Assisting with administrative task
- Assisting as needed with photos for social media and marketing, smart phone a plus
- Helping to create food justice initiatives in the community, and to create educational programs on urban permaculture through on-site classes and online resources.
- Coordination of helpers and material logistics for gardens
- Working on contracting projects with HDB
- Assisting at markets selling our products
- Free housing on the Hellgate Farm main site in Astoria including electric, gas, and internet utilities. Housing will be provided from March 1st 2018 to October 31st 2018, corresponding to the length of the initial internship. The other inhabitants of the property fluctuate but generally are like-minded individuals in the gardening and sustainable construction fields. This will be a communal living situation, and it is very important that the intern is comfortable with that.
- There will be opportunities for paid work beyond the base 3 day work week, which can be discussed further during the interview, including working with our contracting and design company and running markets other days of the week.
If this position sounds like something you could get excited about, please send us your resume and a brief paragraph about why you feel this internship could be for you. Please email email@example.com. We highly prefer an in person interview, but will consider all applications on a case-by-case basis. Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. We are hoping to fill this position as soon as possible, so please apply!